This is a feeling that you are more important or better than other people. Proverbs 11 verse 12 “when pride cometh, then cometh shame”, proverbs 29 verse 23 “A man’s pride shall bring him low”, with this verse in mind I pray daily “God please kill every pride in me that may bring about destruction” Amen!
Pride is not self-love rather it is self-destruction as pride makes it difficult for one to see his/her shortcomings. A prideful person will always perceive himself to be better than others. When you consider yourself faultless or perfect being who commits no offense, it is attributed to pride. There are some common characteristics of pride which include; lying tongue, division, arrogance, spitefulness, snare and lots more.
Pride impedes self-growth as it makes one to become un-teachable, pride ruins relationships because a prideful person takes no correction and never accept to ever have a fault.
STEPS TO OVERCOMING PRIDE
- Instead of looking down on people with disdainful look reach out to help, always look for an opportunity to add value to people who come your way. Learn to serve others rather than being served and when you do such, do it for the love of God not for self-praise.
- Learn to create and give room for constructive criticism.
- Stop comparing yourself with people you are better than, what about looking up to people that are better than you?
…a proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you…C. S. Lewis.
- Be open minded to welcome new ideas and learn new opportunities, you can also learn something of great value from infants or even that village brought-up you despise so much, but how can that be possible when you are filled up with so much of your little achievements, accomplishments or feeling of superiority?
- Learn to praise, appreciate and compliment other peoples effort, you never can imagine the kind of open door such little compliment can earn you.
- Own up to your mistakes and let go of defensiveness. Understand that every human do have faults and weaknesses, so don’t be defensive when a friend points out one for you, own up to it apologize when necessary and work to improve on it.
- Ask for help when you need one, don’t be too full of yourself to ask questions and seek for assistance. Just imagine you are embarking on a journey to an unknown place with direction, but there is no sign post, when you feel too big to greet people around and ask which way to go how do you get to your destination?
Pride when not put in check can really destroy a marriage, relationship, and can even take good friends away from you, when such happen, you might put the blame on the devil or even start looking for who to blame whereas is a self-inflicted injury. The best thing in life is to have control over all of our life actions. I want to really appreciate you for reading till this part of the article, if you have contribution to make on pride please share your opinion with us on the comment section. If this article really inspire you kindly share with your friends.