Self-love is the love of self or having regards for your own happiness. It is the belief you hold that you are a valuable and worthy person. It makes you to be realistic and honest about your strengths and weaknesses.
Self-love is not vanity, it is not selfishness rather self-love is the greatest love of all because you can’t give out what you have not. To genuinely love another you first need to love yourself, self-love mean more of caring about yourself and taking responsibility of yourself because if you don’t take care of yourself who will?
Self-love has nothing to do with pride, arrogance or egocentrism.
Someone who practices self-love will not:
– Smoke once he learn that smoking is harmful to his health
– Commit suicide nor even consider the thought of harming himself
– Sleep with every Tom, Dick or Harry that comes his way because such will be harmful to his relationship
– Cheat people because it is going to kill your self-image
When you really love yourself you will not need a gospel preacher to tell you to do what’s right because all you will desire is to do what will promote your good self image, self-worth and above all you will do what will make you happy and when there’s happiness in you, it will become contagious to people around you.
There are several practices one can adopt to build or increase self-love which include but not limited to:
1. Practices gratitude for yourself and your body. Learn to always look yourself in the mirror and appreciate what you see. Appreciate what you have including your body, appreciate the fact that you have the gift of life, being in good health, being able to see, read, write, able to understand, assimilate and lots more, this should be enough reason to be happy as there are many people out there who lacks some of the special gifts listed but are still grateful for the ones they have. Learn to channel your positive energy towards things that are right about you and dwell less on things that matter not or not working right. Always remember that the real you is the inner you not your physical body.
2. Practice self-care. Just like the saying goes, if you don’t take care of you who will? Taking good care of you should be prioritized. The saying cleanliness is next to godliness is a golden phrase, so keeping you neat and tidy should be a priority not a crime. Eat right and be healthy, get enough rest and sleep set out time for fun and play, remember that all works and no play make you a dull jack. Learn to take yourself out on adventure, relaxation and luxury. Do not neglect exercising your body because it is healthy for your body, mind and soul. Value yourself because you’re always in the best position to do so, never joke with your health.
3. Practice positive thinking and affirmation. It is no longer secret that you’re what you think, so I ask you, what do you think you are? Do you think you are a looser? If you think you are a looser, then consider yourself one. If you think you are a winner, then consider yourself one and channel all your energy towards positive thoughts and actions. Never talk negatively about yourself and your future as power of life and death lies in the tongue.
4. Always understand that you are a unique being not a perfect one. Making mistake is part of human nature, there is no living being who do not make mistake so don’t beat yourself over one rather own up to your mistakes by accepting responsibility for your actions, apologizing or atoning where and when necessary and moving on with your life. Appreciate your uniqueness, another person’s flaws can be your strength and another person’s strength can be your weakness, so accommodate yourself and others as variety they say is the spice of life. Understand that fear, insecurity, self-criticism, anger are all part of human nature but those who live above the weaknesses developed themselves towards that, so you can also do same. There’s no super human on planet earth so respect your uniqueness and your authenticity.
5. Enjoy your own company. If you can’t enjoy your company, how do you expect others to enjoy your company? If you bore yourself what makes you think others wouldn’t get bored of you. Your alone time gives you room for yourself, to be creative and think, is then you can have moments of sober reflection. You need your company to communicate with Supreme Being and meditate if need be. Sometimes get alone in your own company, your own thoughts uninterrupted.
6. Set boundaries and define your worth. You don’t go about being people pleaser because no matter how hard you try, you can never please everybody. Secondly never allow external body outside yourself to define your worth, never seek for your worthiness in others. Know when your elastic limit is reached and stretch no further to avoid serious harm.
Self-love is a way of life so you have to live it to fully understand the advantages of self-love. The more you can make yourself feel whole and worthy as an individual, the more you will have to give to the world and the more you will have to give to a relationship. Practicing self-love ushers you into the world of happiness and is good to note things happy people do which include but not limited to.
– They don’t complain all the time.
– Happy people don’t give up when things get tough
– Happy people don’t always try to please everyone
– They are grateful for what they have
– They don’t feel sorry for themselves
– They don’t let negative people affect them
– Happy people don’t bring others down to feel better
– They are who they are without pretense.
Self-love can only attract true happiness, true friends, right relationship, right clients and general wellness. In fact there’s more to self-love than I have on this article, kindly share your view on self-love, also do not forget to share this article with your friends.